Monday, July 25, 2011

Kestrel Under Osprey

The good news is in: the Osprey over in the old Georgia Pacific lot are a happy, family unit of five, with three healthy chicks. With rapidly forming wings, they're beginning to test them out in the nest, preparing for their fledge only a couple weeks away. I've been toughing it out in a tiny blind, in this sweltering heat, documenting them for a future video. Believe me, I'll be posting more on these birds soon.

During my many sits I've observed another aerial pair working this quirky little zone or habitat. A male and female Kestrel have been hunting regularly off the wires of the telephone pole that cradles the Osprey nest directly above. Since they target grasshoppers and small rodents, and the Osprey never veer from their diet of fish, they both have their distinct niche and can successfully coexist so close to one another. A nice, micro layering of biodiversity.


No comments:

Post a Comment